Do you have anything to share about your experiences here? Have you used materials from SGE in your research or other projects? Or do you have another Environment-related story? We want to hear from you!. The types of articles appropriate for the e-newsletter range from short features on specific quality topics, step-by-step how-to’s, practical advice, and case studies supplemented with real-world experience, analysis, or research. Moreover, compelling first-person or personal stories and opinion pieces also are welcome. E-newsletters inform SGE members of important environmental issues, trends, and news in the SGE field. Articles promote the mission of the SGE and support an exchange of ideas, experiences among ESOL professionals within a targeted member community.
In each newsletter issue, we will publish up to three user-submitted articles in our new column on SGE Users and Use. For article and submission guidelines, see below. We hope to see your byline in an upcoming issue!
Newsletter Article Submission Guidelines
Please review these guidelines and the newsletter mission statement carefully to ensure that your submission will receive full consideration.
General Instructions for Authors
- Manuscripts that are deficient in this respect may be rejected and returned to the author without peer review.
- Articles may be copyedited for clarity and style.
- Try to be clear and concise in your writing and use bullets, lists, and short sentences and paragraphs where appropriate.
- SGE uses the cross-check to detect instances of plagiarism, overlapping and similar text in submitted manuscripts and published work.
- Usage of third party material by the authors (e.g. figures, diagrams) can only be used if prior permission of copyright has been obtained in this regard. This must be acknowledged and the acknowledgment cited at the appropriate place in the manuscript.
- All files should be prepared using a word processor (.doc, .docx) and not as PDF files. Include a short bio about yourself with photograph.
- Use a normal, plain font (e.g., 10-point Times Roman) for text. Use italics for emphasis. Use the automatic page numbering function to number the pages.
- All text should be 12-point font size (Times New Roman) with double spaced lines and 2.0 cm margins.
- Manuscripts should be in English (consistent with either British or American spelling). Authors are strongly advised to ensure that the manuscript is written in clear and concise language, is intelligible to a broad readership, and is of a publishable standard prior to submission.
- The maximum page length should be 3-4 pages.
- Submissions should be no longer than 1500 words (including tables and citations).
- Please also include a title for your article providing the following information. The title page should include: The name(s) of the author(s); A concise and informative title, avoid abbreviations and formulae where possible. The affiliation(s) of the author(s), i.e. institution, (department), city, (state), country. Please clearly indicate the given name(s) and family name(s)of each author and check that all names are accurately spelled. Clearly indicate who will handle correspondence at all stages of refereeing and publication, also post-publication. This responsibility includes answering any future queries.
- For authors that are (temporarily) unaffiliated we will only capture their city and country of residence, not their e-mail address unless specifically requested.
- Maximum references should be up to 5 nos.
- Please ensure the figures and the tables included in the single file are placed next to the relevant text in the manuscript, rather than at the bottom or the top of the file. The corresponding caption should be placed directly below the figure or table.
- Each figure and table must be put separately on a single page. The number of figures or tables should not be more than two.
- All tables are to be numbered using Arabic numerals. Tables should always be cited in text in consecutive numerical order.
- Figure captions begin with the term Fig. in bold type, followed by the figure number, also in bold type.
- Please submit tables as editable text and not as images.
- Please include photo captions and, if you have them, photographer credits. Please include the names of each person appearing in the photo whenever possible.
- All photos must be clear, clean, professional, appropriate to the article attached as a separate file in the same email as your article File format: GIF, JPG, JPEG Maximum file size: 1MB Quality: Low Resolution (Web quality) 200 dpi.
General Submission Guidelines
- Please send your submission and all relevant attachments (photos, tables, etc.) in one e-mail message. Failure to do so could delay or disqualify your submission.
- To submit, please e-mail your article directly to Dr. Vineet Kumar (newsletter editor) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to put “SGE newsletter submission” in the subject line of your submission e-mail.
- Please contact the newsletter editor at any time with questions.
- Include your first name, last name, and a contact e-mail address in the body of your message. Your name (but not your e-mail) will appear in the newsletter (unless you ask to be anonymous).
- Articles should be sent as an attachment, in either Word (.doc or .docx). Please do not send in .pdf format.
- Related pictures are highly encouraged to be submitted along with your article.
- Images must fall into one of these categories: your own work—i.e. you took the photograph; freely licensed; public domain; fair use.
- The list of references should only include works that are cited in the text and that have been published or accepted for publication.
Sample reference list formatting: (for Journal article)
Gamelin FX, Baquet G, Berthoin S, Thevenet D, Nourry C, Nottin S, Bosquet L (2009) Effect of high-intensity intermittent training on heart rate variability in prepubescent children. Eur J Appl Physiol 105:731-738. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-008-0955-8
For Online document
Cartwright J (2007) Big stars have weather too. IOP Publishing PhysicsWeb. http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/11/6/16/1. Accessed 26 June 2007
- Authors wishing to include figures, tables, or text passages that have already been published elsewhere are required to obtain permission from the copyright owner(s) for both the print and online format and to include evidence that such permission has been granted when submitting their papers. Any material received without such evidence will be assumed to originate from the authors.
- Send signed permissions forms to the editor along with manuscript at email@example.com.
- The SGE newsletter is technically SGE publications. Failure to copyright law puts you and SGE at risk legally.
- You may not reproduce material from the SGE e-newsletter without written permission from Newsletter authors retain their copyright. Please include email addresses with bylines to enable readers to contact authors for permission to reprint their articles.
- Following these guidelines will ensure that the editors can view your submission and publish it without any technical issues. The editors reserve the right to edit submissions for style and clarity.
If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org, editor. Thank you for your patience, consideration, and support of SGE.
Stay safe and Healthy